Defense Minister Amir Peretz met with the families of kidnapped soldiers Eldad Regev and Ehud Goldwasser on Tuesday and promised that he will do whatever it takes to return their sons home. He said that Israel is diligently pursuing the soldiers’ return.
After the meeting, the Goldwasser and Regev families held a news conference in which they accused the government of acting too slowly to return the two. Shlomo Goldwasser appealed to Prime Minister Ehud Olmert to reexamine the political echelon’s attempts to release the men who have been in captivity since July 12. He said that the families are told that everything possible is being done, but they haven’t even received a sign that the two are alive.
After the meeting with Peretz, the families of the kidnapped also met with Maj.-General (Res.) Doron Almog who apologized for the distress caused to them after the release of his report about the kidnapping incident which stated that the patrol on that fateful morning was “out on a day trip and not on an operative mission.”
Benny Regev, Eldad's brother, said in response that General Almog "made it clear that the kidnapped soldiers acted in accordance with IDF regulations on the day of their abduction."
“They left for the patrol with their rifles, helmets and the rest of the necessary equipment – all in accordance with army regulations. General Almog emphasized that they had been acting in accordance with regulations,” he said.