75 percent of Gush Katif evacuees return to work

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 |  by Staff Writer  

Seventy-five percent of Gush Katif evacuees returned to work after months of unemployment. Some 100 former Gaza Strip settlers appealed to a committee of government ministers and public offices, pleading for employment promised by Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.

The director of SELA (the disengagement authority) and different government ministries presented a detailed report to the committee on the updated situation of evacuated settlers of the Gaza Strip and northern Samaria and additional problems remaining to be solved.

The committee confirmed that the transfer of seven million shekels from the Internal Ministry budget to the local authority had been received by the evacuees as social aid.

The committee decided to allocate 10 million shekels to the budget for planning continuation of settlers from Gush Katif. A stipend will be given for a period of time for vocational training courses offered until the middle of 2007.

Olmert said he is aware of the public feeling that the subject of settlers is treated without intensity.

“The thing was derived from the fact that the evacuation would be carried out in a matter of days, but the rehabilitation process of residents is very long and demands the involvement of many causes,” he said.

Nevertheless, different government sources are working speedily in relation to have all settlers and evacuees fully employed.

More than 3,000 individual apartments for evacuees have already been confirmed in the framework of the plan of the city building, but we hope that within a year most will be living in permanent housing.

Want more news from Israel?
Click Here to sign up for our FREE daily email updates

Current Issue
Sign Up for Daily Email Updates

Keep up with events in Israel with our FREE daily email newsletter and special offers.

Popular Posts