Border quiet after night of clashes

Thursday, February 08, 2007 |  by Staff Writer
Senior defense officials were set to hold a special meeting on Thursday following a night of clashes between Israeli and Lebanese troops on the northern border.

Defense Minister Amir Peretz said the Israeli Army had been operating on Israeli territory in search of roadside bombs and land mines.

“The aim of the operation is to confirm that no additional explosive devices are located in the area and to make it difficult for the Hizballah terror organization to conceal explosive devices in the area in the future,” an Israel Defense Forces statement said.

Late Wednesday evening, Lebanese troops opened fire with machine guns at the Israel Defense Forces Engineering Corps soldiers.

Israeli troops returned fire with two tank rounds.

The Lebanese army said it didn’t suffer casualties, but UNIFIL said at least five Lebanese soldiers were wounded or killed.

Earlier Wednesday, the Lebanese Armed Forces had been threatening to open fire on IDF troops operating near the border.

Want more news from Israel?
Click Here to sign up for our FREE daily email updates

Current Issue

Advertisements



Sign Up for Daily Email Updates

Keep up with events in Israel with our FREE daily email newsletter and special offers.

Popular Posts

More News