Wine, Matza and Potatoes for Passover

Monday, March 26, 2007 |  by Staff Writer
Along with the Matzos and wine, Israelis will also be eating potatoes this Passover, according to a report by the Federation of Israeli Chambers of Commerce.

In the two weeks before Pesach, some 10,000 tons of potatoes are expected to be sold, a 15 percent increase and will bring in some 35 million shekels (about $8 million).

The average household is expected to spend 12-15 shekels ($3 -$3.5) on potatoes this holiday while the average person will eat about 1.4 kg (3 lbs).

The FICC showed that the year 2006 yielded a crop of 570,000 tons of potatoes, 220,000 tons went toward local consumption, 90,000 tons went toward industry and 260,000 tons were exported to Britain, France, Belgium, Spain, Germany and Russia.

In 2006, the potato market value was estimated at 1.2 billion shekels (about $286 million), out of which 800 million shekels ($190 million) came from local consumption and 70 million shekels ($16 million) came from industry. The remaining 370 million shekels ($88 million) came from export.

Potatoes are comprised of two main types: White potatoes used for cooking, soups and salads and make up about 70 percent of the market. Red potatoes make up the remaining 30 percent and are used for frying or baking.

Want more news from Israel?
Click Here to sign up for our FREE daily email updates

Current Issue

Advertisements



Sign Up for Daily Email Updates

Keep up with events in Israel with our FREE daily email newsletter and special offers.

Popular Posts

Christian Affection for Islamic Terrorism
New revelation of Presbyterian...

More News