Families evacuated from the former Samarian settlement of Homesh plan to head to the ruins for a second time on Independence Day next week, Army Radio reported on Thursday.
“There is no greater gift for Independence Day than to return to the Zionist values of building and ideology,” said Yossi Dagan, one of the organizers of the Homesh campaign. “We will march up to Homesh with thousands of people, in a beautiful and joyous manner.”
Homesh, which was evacuated in the government’s pullout in the summer of 2005, was reclaimed in a protest march last month, which police and security officials were forced to evacuate. While former marches have been prearranged with the Israeli army, the army plans to do everything to prevent violence on the national holiday.
Officials told Army Radio that if the marchers requested authorization, it would be granted, and security forces would even provide protection, even though the area is a closed military zone.
An Israeli army spokesman said the military was operating under orders from the defense establishment and keeping a close eye on the situation in the area.
The Defense Ministry refused to address the report of the Homesh march.
“The ministry did not receive any request on the issue, and when one comes, a comprehensive discussion will be held,” it said.
Want more news from Israel?
Click Here to sign up for our FREE daily email updates