Olmert insists he won't fortify all southern Israel

Monday, February 25, 2008 |  by Staff Writer

Arab terrorists operating out of the northern Gaza Strip fired two rockets at communities in southern Israel on Monday. Both rockets landed in open areas and caused no injuries or damage.

The attack came just as Israel was sending 60 trucks full of food and other humanitarian aid into the impoverished Hamas-run Gaza Strip.

Earlier, Israeli forces killed three wanted Hamas terrorists in overnight air strikes near the southern Gaza town of Khan Younis.

In related news, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert told his cabinet on Sunday that his government has "no intention of fortifying every building" in southern Israel towns and villages under daily threat from Palestinian rockets.

Mr. Olmert said that he plans by the year 2010 to provide the residents of southern Israel with what he sees as an adequate multi-layered protection system consisting of some fortification, early warning alarms and a short-range anti-missile system.

The prime minister ignored reports last week that revealed the Iron Dome rocket interception system will not be able to stop Palestinian rockets from hitting the battered southern Israel town of Sderot.

Want more news from Israel?
Click Here to sign up for our FREE daily email updates

Current Issue

Advertisements

Sign Up for Daily Email Updates

Keep up with events in Israel with our FREE daily email newsletter and special offers.

Popular Posts

Palestinian leader says Gazans...