At least three Israelis were killed and another 44 wounded when a bulldozer positioned on Jerusalem's Jaffa Street for road work suddenly entered traffic and plowed into pedestrians, cars and two passenger buses.
Television images showed at least four cars completely or partially crushed, one damaged bus and another bus with a huge gash that had been overturned by the buldozer. Two of the wounded were listed in critical condition following the attack, and another five were said to have suffered moderate-to-serious injuries.
The attack ended when a security guard at a nearby bank leapt atop the rampaging bulldozer and shot the driver. However, the driver revived about a minute later and attempted to resume the attack, but was killed by two police officers who had already entered the bulldozer.
The perpetrator was identified as an Israeli Arab resident of Jerusalem. He was not believed to have any ties to Palestinian terror groups, but an unknown Israeli Arab terror group from northern Israel did claim credit for the attack. Several months ago another Israeli Arab from Jerusalem went on a bloody shooting spree at one of the capital's leading yeshivas, killing eight young Bible students.
Jerusalem Mayor Uri Lupolianski and Israeli Trade and Industry Minister Eli Yishai both told Channel 2 News following Tuesday's attack that Israel must start demolishing the homes of Jerusalem-based terrorists, just as it does those of Arab terrorists living in Palestinian Authority-controlled areas.
Yishai also called for restrictions on Arabs living on the eastern side of Jerusalem who wish to enter and work in Jewish-dominated western Jerusalem, after the former community had proven itself to be hostile toward the Jewish state.