Israeli security chief reiterates that Gaza truce a mistake

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 |  Israel Today Staff

The head of the Israel Security Agency (ISA) on Tuesday reiterated to cabinet ministers his warning that the current ceasefire deal with Gaza's Hamas rulers is only going to result in more severe violence in the future.

During his weekly briefing, ISA chief Yuval Diskin said that Hamas is now planting minefields in the Gaza Strip, and has imported longer-range rockets capable of striking Israeli cities previously unthreatened by Palestinian forces based in the coastal territory.

Diskin said the quiet along the Gaza border, which has lasted for over a month, is deceptive, as Hamas' long-term goals have not changed. He said the terror group is only maintaining the calm so that it can strengthen its hold on Gaza, further reducing the chances that Hamas will be ejected from power in the near future.

Want more news from Israel?
Click Here to sign up for our FREE daily email updates

Current Issue

Advertisements

Sign Up for Daily Email Updates

Keep up with events in Israel with our FREE daily email newsletter and special offers.

Popular Posts

An Arab Pastor Speaks Out on Gaza
Arab pastor of Israeli Messianic...