Residents of southern Israel not happy with premature ceasefire

Sunday, January 18, 2009 |  Israel Today Staff

Residents of southern Israel on Sunday expressed frustration that the war on Hamas had been halted prematurely, leaving the terrorists able to continue threatening them and their children.

Some 100 people demonstrated against the ceasefire in the battered southern town of Sderot as Prime Minister Ehud Olmert was announcing to the nation that the army's goals in Gaza had been met and even exceeded.

One of the protesters, Alon Davidi, head of the Committee for a Secure Sederot, asked how Olmert could possibly guarantee their safety when he is leaving so much to chance and in the hands of foreign forces that are often hostile to Israel.

"I listened attentively to the prime minister's statement," Davidi told Ynet, "and unfortunately we are once again forced to rely on Egypt and other countries in order to prevent the smuggling and the firing towards us."

He said it was very telling that shortly after Olmert declared victory and ordered the army to stop its operations that the Home Front Command instructed schools across southern Israel to remain closed on Sunday for fear of rocket attacks.

Want more news from Israel?
Click Here to sign up for our FREE daily email updates

Current Issue

Advertisements

Sign Up for Daily Email Updates

Keep up with events in Israel with our FREE daily email newsletter and special offers.