Netanyahu-Mitchell meeting called off amid ongoing settlement dispute

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 |  Israel Today Staff

A meeting between Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US Middle East envoy George Mitchell scheduled for Thursday in Paris has been called off, presumably due to an ongoing dispute over the natural growth of Jewish settlements.

Members of Netanyahu's entourage to Europe told Ynet that Israel was the one to call off the meeting because it needed more time to gather and organize data to present to the Americans.

But Israeli media speculated that the cancellation of the meeting was yet another sign of the growing tension between Netanyahu and the Obama Administration over Israel's refusal to stop building homes for Jews in Judea, Samaria and the eastern half of Jerusalem.

It was later reported that Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak will travel to Washington on Monday for previously unscheduled talks with Mitchell.

Want more news from Israel?
Click Here to sign up for our FREE daily email updates

Current Issue

Advertisements

Sign Up for Daily Email Updates

Keep up with events in Israel with our FREE daily email newsletter and special offers.

Popular Posts

Palestinian leader says Gazans...