Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday issued another thinly-veiled threat to strike Iran’s nuclear program if it continues, and a retired senior security official warned that the Israeli leader is deadly serious.
Speaking at a ceremony marking the anniversary of the Yom Kippur War, Netanyahu explained that the surprise Arab attack in 1973 had taught Israel to “never underestimate a threat” and that “we can’t surrender the option of a preventive strike.”
Some Israeli leaders, including then Defense Minister Moshe Dayan, at one point feared they would lose the Yom Kippur War and that the reborn State of Israel would be annihilated.
Netanyahu said that while launching preemptive attacks was a heavy decision to take, the price Israel could pay for doing nothing often justified such action.
Israeli officials later confirmed that the prime minister was most definitely alluding to the Iran nuclear threat.
In remarks to the Jerusalem Post earlier this week, a retired high-ranking Israeli army official said the world needs to take Netanyahu’s threat very seriously.
“Bibi’s not bluffing,” he said, using the prime minister’s nickname. “He thinks it’s the 1930s. The Iranians are the Germans, and history has a sense of humor with six million Jews now in Israel.”
Of course, as students of Jewish history know, their nation’s past does have a way of repeating itself, often with catastrophic results.
While most of Israel’s intelligence and military leaders currently oppose striking Iran, the official said Netanyahu has the ability to achieve consensus for an attack if he deems its necessary.
Want more news from Israel?
Click Here to sign up for our FREE daily email updates