Israel may or may not achieve all its military objectives vis-a-vis Hamas by the time a ceasefire is imposed in Gaza, but it would appear the current war effort accomplished something far more important in thwarting a planned mega-attack.
About a week ago, Israeli troops operating in Gaza confiscated Hamas documents and computers that contained details of a planned major assault against southern Israel.
As the ground war got underway a couple of weeks ago, Israel was surprised by the number and complexity of the terror tunnels Hamas had dug under the Gaza border and into sovereign Israeli territory.
What it only learned later, after captured the aforementioned intelligence, was that all those tunnels were part of one elaborate attack scheme.
As per the Hamas documents, on Rosh Hashanah of this year (starting September 24), up to 200 Hamas gunmen were to pour out of each of the dozens upon dozens of terror tunnels, many of which we now know exit inside or very near to Israeli civilian communities.
While the Hamas plan is in scope grand beyond achievability, there is no doubt that an attack of that scale would have resulted in many Israeli casualties, and possibly a number of abductions.
In fact, many of the tunnels uncovered over the past week were found to contain holding rooms where presumably Hamas intended to hide kidnapped Israelis.
A number of the Hamas fighters captured by Israel in recent days have confirmed that the plan was real, and said they had been promised by their leadership that the mass coordinated assault would begin the ultimate defeat of the Zionist enemy.
Israel’s war on Gaza, and in particular the focus on destroying the terror tunnels, severely disrupted Hamas’ plans, which the prisoners said had required some 12 years of preparations.