Hamas and Palestinian Authority negotiators were on Sunday threatening to quit long-term ceasefire talks in Cairo after the Israeli delegation abruptly left for home on Friday and never returned.
Hamas and its terrorist allies resumed rocket fire on southern Israel on Friday, as a 72-hour temporary ceasefire expired. The terrorists did this despite the fact that negotiations had already begun in the Egyptian capital.
Israel insists that it will not be party to truce talks held under fire.
Dozens of rockets were fired into southern Israel over the weekend, and Israel responded with targeted airstrikes throughout the Gaza Strip.
Israel’s cabinet was scheduled to meet on Sunday morning to discuss declaring Hamas-ruled Gaza an “enemy territory,” and several ministers proposed reconquering and reoccupying the volatile coastal enclave, at least long enough to fully defeat Hamas.
“Operation Protective Edge is ongoing,” said Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. “At no point did we declare it over. The operation will continue until its goal is met — restoring long-term quiet. I said all along, it will take time and requires patience.”
Nevertheless, residents returning to their homes in southern Israel on the recommendation of the army and the government are furious with Netanyahu and his cabinet. They say that the renewed rocket fire on their homes proves that Israel ended its ground invasion of Gaza prematurely.