The Palestinian Authority has essentially issued an ultimatum for Israel’s withdrawal from Judea and Samaria (the so-called “West Bank”) precisely at a time when Israel is more convinced than ever of the danger of such a move.
Late last month, Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas told Egyptian television that he had a “surprise” peace initiative that neither Israel nor America were going to like.
Details of that plan leaked to the press revealed that Abbas will agree to enter a fresh nine-month round of negotiations with Israel, but only on condition that the primary outcome of the talks be pre-determined.
The pre-determined outcome Abbas is looking for? An independent Palestinian state on the pre–1967 borders and a full Israeli withdrawal facilitating that new state’s establishment within three years.
Should Israel refuse, Abbas would turn to unilateral moves like seeking UN Security Council recognition for “Palestine,” filing charges against Israel at the International Court of Justice and applying to additional international institutions.
Abbas will present his plan to the Arab League next week. At the same time, top Palestinian officials will meet with the Obama Administration, which they hope will aid the scheme by applying increased diplomatic pressure on Israel.
Meanwhile, Israeli officials citing the new dangers exposed by the summer’s Gaza war are saying the Abbas plan is too dangerous to even consider.
Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon told a conference in Tel Aviv on Tuesday that a full West Bank withdrawal would only bring to central Israel the same kind of terror tunnels and incessant rocket fire plaguing the residents of the southern Negev region.
Were that threat to materialize, it could severely cripple Israel economically by shutting down Ben Gurion International Airport, situated just miles from the territory over which Abbas demands sovereignty.
While many in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s cabinet are calling for a renewal of the peace process, Abbas’ ultimatum was summarily dismissed.
Justice Minister Tzipi Livni, who is officially in charge negotiations with the Palestinians, suggested that Abbas was merely playing to his audience, and wouldn’t really go through with his unacceptable threats.
“The Palestinian public loves ‘resistance’ very much, so Abbas is there too, but I assume he’ll try to take diplomatic steps,” Livni told Walla News, adding that the Palestinian leader “will have to understand a Palestinian state will not be established in UN institutions.”
Finance Minister Yair Lapid voiced similar sentiments. “Recent weeks reminded us why we should separate from the Palestinians - we don’t want to live with them – and why it’s better to have an agreement, not unilateral steps,” he told Army Radio.
In what many Israelis see as wishful thinking, Lapid is calling for a regional peace summit including negotiations on the demilitarization of the Gaza Strip, an “Oslo Accord” obligation that the Palestinians have already flagrantly violated.
Meanwhile, Intelligence Minister Yuval Steinitz said the entire episode was further evidence that the Palestinian leadership couldn’t be trusted. Abbas is playing a “double game,” Steinitz told Israel Radio, accusing the Palestinian leader of firing “diplomatic rockets” at Israel, not unlike the physical rockets employed by Hamas.