Palestinians, Not IDF, Denied Medical Aid to Dying PA Minister

Thursday, December 11, 2014 |  Ryan Jones

As additional details come to light in the untimely death of Palestinian Authority minister Ziad Abu Ein on Wednesday, it would seem that not only did IDF soldiers not kill him, but that Palestinian bystanders actually prevented the Israelis from providing life-saving medical aid as the official lay dying of an apparent heart attack.

What is known is that Abu Ein led what turned into a violent demonstration against Jewish “settlement activity.” That was, after all, his job in the Palestinian Authority. At some point, Abu Ein personally scuffled with Israeli Border Police officers, one of whom grabbed the minister by the throat and pushed him away.

According to Israeli, Russian and British journalists at the scene, it was some five minutes later that Abu Ein sat down short of breath and holding his chest. The eye-witnesses denied allegations that an Israeli soldier had struck Abu Ein in the chest with the butt of a rifle.

At this point, Tom Rayner of Sky News reported that a female Israeli medic attempted to clear the area and administer aid to Abu Ein. But the Palestinian mob was having none of it, and quickly moved the dying man to a nearby vehicle.

The report debunked Palestinian claims that Abu Ein was purposely denied medical attention, a factor that contributed to his death.

The circumstances seemed to support the Israeli army’s assessment that Abu Ein, who suffered from heart disease, had been hit by a major heart attack.

But still, Israel agreed to participate in a full investigation, including sending an Israeli representative, Dr. Hen Kugel, to Abu Ein’s autopsy. Kugel reported back that Abu Ein’s arteries were nearly 80 percent blocked, and that all signs pointed to a massive coronary attack.

“We know that he died from a heart attack. He had significant blockage of the arteries and his heart was in bad shape. When they grabbed his neck it caused massive stress which led to bleeding and then full blockage, which is what killed him,” Kugel told Israel’s Ynet news portal.

While the Palestinian doctors involved reportedly concurred that a heart attack ultimately killed Abu Ein, the Palestinian Authority nevertheless accused Israel of a “cold blooded murder.”

“After hearing the results of the autopsy, the Palestinian government holds Israel fully responsible for the killing of Ziad Abu Ein,” said spokesman Ihab Bseiso.

“What happened is a crime by all means, we cannot sit idle and silent (after) this crime,” Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas reportedly told his cabinet.

“The PA has decided to stop all forms of coordination with Israel following the intentional assassination of…Ziad Abu Ein,” stated Abbas aide Jibril Rajoub.

Already, the fresh incitement was bearing fruit on Thursday as riots erupted in Hebron ahead of Abu Ein’s funeral and Israeli police braced for additional violence in Jerusalem and elsewhere.

Want more news from Israel?
Click Here to sign up for our FREE daily email updates

Current Issue

Get Your Israel Today App Now!

Your Vacation Apartment in Jerusalem


For Information & Reservations:


TEL.: +972-2-6226881

Popular Posts