They have to be alert and ready for anything at any time. Just yesterday there were 5 attacks within the space of 24 hours. And our young sons and daughters responded quickly preventing any injuries amongst our security forces.
The attacks that took place were:
- On Sunday morning, a Palestinian knife-wielding attacker ran at Border Police officers at the Mazmoriya security checkpoint on the outskirts of Jerusalem. An alert officer warned colleagues about the approaching attacker and another officer shot and killed him in defense.
- A little later on Sunday morning, two Palestinians threw stones at passing vehicles. Forces on patrol were summoned to the scene, and when they confronted them the Palestinians opened fire on them. The soldiers returned fire killing the two attackers.
- On Sunday afternoon, a woman reported that a young Arab tried to stab her in the Talpiot neighbourhood in Jerusalem. Police said that the Arab teenager tapped her on the shoulder, and on turning around she saw him holding a knife. The then attacker fled and the woman was not injured. Police started an intensive manhunt for the would-be attacker.
- Later on Sunday afternoon, a Palestinian woman attacker tried to stab a Border Policeman stationed in the vicinity of the Cave of the Patriarchs in Hebron. The Border Policeman pushed her back and shot her, wounding her. The attacker was taken to the Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem.
- And at about 11pm on Sunday night, two attackers armed with home modified M-16 rifles opened fire at police forces that were being briefed adjacent to a light rail station near the Damascus Gate in Jerusalem's Old City.
The officers noticed a suspicious person and approached him instructing him to put down his bag. He produced a rifle and took aimed at the officers, who quickly responded and shot him. The second attacker also opened fire at them who was also shot and killed at the scene.