The Government to take northern residents on outings

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 |  by Staff Writer
Almost a month after the beginning of the war, the Israeli Government has decided to vacate 17,000 residents of the conflict zone in the north and send them on relief outings across the country.

5,000 of the residents will be hosted in hotels around the Sea of Galilee for four nights, and 12,000 others will be taken on two to four day camping retreats in parks across the country and will sleep in tents.

Raanan Dinur, Director General of the Prime Minister’s office met with municipality officials in the north and updated them on the government’s decision to significantly expand the relief outing activities for those residents living in bomb shelters.

Dinur mentioned that so far, about 2,000 seniors were taken to hotel vacations in rounds of five days. 15,000 children and teens were hosted at different locations across the country and 21,000 children were taken on single-day activities.

The Prime Minister’s office says that residents vacated to hotels will be allowed a stay of three to four nights with half board. Government officials said that at the end of the stay, the residents will have to check out of their rooms to allow for other residents to take their place. There are also preparations for the possibility of people refusing to leave.

It was also decided to allow residents from the north to go on two to four day excursions to Israel’s national parks. At this time, five central sites were chosen: The Paratroopers’ Forest in the Yavne area; Eshkol National Park; Alexander Creek; and the Exhibition Gardens in Tel Aviv.

Want more news from Israel?
Click Here to sign up for our FREE daily email updates

Current Issue

Advertisements



Sign Up for Daily Email Updates

Keep up with events in Israel with our FREE daily email newsletter and special offers.

Popular Posts

More News