Falafel is an internationally-recognized Israeli food made from chickpeas (garbanzo beans). It’s a healthy vegetarian meal you can enjoy with your family, and this falafel maker makes the process a breeze! Use this recipe to make the falafel mixture, scoop to form a ball, and press the mix out into a pot of heated oil. Falafel is usually served inside a pita bread, sandwich-style, but can also be served as an appetizer. You can serve your falafel with humus or yogurt, or any other sauce you prefer.
- 8 oz (225g) chick peas,
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 slice of white bread, soaked in a little water
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. coriander, ground
- 1 tsp. cumin, ground
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- oil for frying
- Soak the chick peas overnight.
- Cover with plenty of fresh water and cook for 1 - 1 1/2 hours until tender.
- Pound or blend the chick peas to a purée.
- Squeeze out the bread and add to the chick peas together with the rest of the ingredients.
- Knead well for a few minutes.
- Let the mixture rest for 1-2 hours, then roll between the palms into firm 1" balls. (Wetted hands make this easier).
- Heat oil (at least 1 inch deep) in a pan to about 360° F (180°C), and fry the balls, a few at a time, until nicely brown all over — about 2-3 minutes.
- Drain and serve hot with lemon wedges.