Neve Tzedek was the first Jewish district to have been built outside the old city of Jaffa, even before Tel Aviv was founded.
Neve Tzedek was the first Jewish residential neighbourhood established outside the Old City of Jaffa, in 1887, 22 years before the formal establishment of the city of Tel Aviv. Neve Tzedek was settled primarily by Sephardi and Yemenite Jews initially. While the city of Tel Aviv continued to develop around Neve Tzedek, the old district became neglected.
In the eighties, the gentrification of the complete neighbourhood began. The old homes and buildings took on a new look as up market businesses and chic cafes appeared. Today, Neve Tzedek has a Bohemian appearance with many craft shops, fashion boutiques, cafés and restaurants. The Suzanne Dellal Dance and Theater Center was established in Neve Tzedek and “HaTachana” can also be found in the north-western end of the neighbourhood.
Take a virtual stroll through this extremely interesting part of Tel Aviv.