Cynical Use of Mosques to Incite Against the Jews
Palestinian officials always said they don’t hate Jews, just Zionists. Today, they proved that is not the case.
There is no doubt that the normalization of diplomatic relations between Israel and the Gulf states has dealt a catastrophic blow to the Palestinian issue and the Palestinian Authority (PA).
The Palestinians are astonished, embarrassed, and confused. They don’t know how to recover their lost “pedestal.” They are “shooting” in all directions. They accuse fellow Arabs of betraying Islam, Palestine and the holy Muslim mosque in Jerusalem. One of the most successful ways to fight Israel, the Jews and the peace process is to use the Muslim religion to arouse the masses and play with their emotions.
In recent days, the PA has re-engaged this old method – using verses from the Koran for propaganda. This time it is to fight Israel’s peace agreement with the United Arab Emirates and the Kingdom of Bahrain. This step aims to deal a blow to both Israel and those Arab nations.
The Ministry of Religious Affairs in the PA government last week distributed a document with these headlines:
- “There is nothing that harms Palestine… more than making an alliance with the Jews”
- “Obedience to the Jews… will lead to humiliation and shame.”
The document contained instructions regarding anti-Semitic messages the PA wanted included in Friday sermons last week. These were instructions to the preachers in all the mosques to speak against the Israel-UAE-Bahrain agreements, and to use verses from the Koran and the Hadith [Muslim oral teachings] to attack anyone involved in the peace process.
The purpose of this despicable act was to incite hatred against the Jews, against Israel and against any Arab state that wants to establish diplomatic ties with Israel. The cynical use of religion for PA propaganda purposes is certainly stooping to a very low level. Unfortunately, this is not a new methodology for the Palestinians, as we shall soon see.
However, first we will read the document. What did the Muslim worshipers hear as we celebrated the Hebrew Rosh Hashanah? The following is a translation of the document by Palestinian Media Watch:
“In the name of All Merciful Allah
The State of Palestine
Sept. 16, 2020
The [PA] Ministry of Religious Affairs
Friday sermon Sept. 18, 2020
[Deputy Minister of Religious Affairs] Husam Abu Al-Rub
‘And do not incline toward those who do wrong’ [Quran 11:113, Sahih International translation]
The danger of normalization:
- There is nothing that harms Palestine and its holy sites more than making an alliance with the Jews, being connected to them, and relying on them.
- Normalization with the Zionist entity is high treason against Palestine, Jerusalem, the blood of the Martyrs, and the suffering of the prisoners.
- Normalization with the Zionist entity is one of the expressions of sanctimoniousness and hypocrisy and accepting the oppressor and his tyranny.
- Obedience to the Jews and being dragged after them will lead the nation to weakness, lawlessness, humiliation, and shame.
- Concentrating all the energies to reject normalization and relations with the Zionist entity.
- The believer – distress and disasters strengthen him in his faith, confidence, and determination.
- The source of hope – after Allah – is in endurance and resolve on the rights and principles facing the oppression of the enemies and the abandonment by the brothers and friends.
- Calling on the Arab and Islamic peoples and the free people of the world to stand with Palestine in order to bring down the agreement of humiliation and treason by the UAE and Bahrain.
- Calling for unity and unifying the ranks in order to deal with the dangers threatening the Palestinian cause.
References and Shari’ah proofs:
- “O Prophet, fear Allah and do not obey the disbelievers and the hypocrites. Indeed, Allah is ever Knowing and Wise. And follow that which is revealed to you from your Lord. Indeed Allah is ever, with what you do, Acquainted. And rely upon Allah ; and sufficient is Allah as Disposer of affairs.” [Quran] Sura 33:1-3:
- “So be patient for the decision of your Lord and do not obey from among them a sinner or ungrateful [disbeliever].” Sura 76:24:
- “And never will the Jews or the Christians approve of you until you follow their religion. Say, ‘Indeed, the guidance of Allah is the [only] guidance.’ If you were to follow their desires after what has come to you of knowledge, you would have against Allah no protector or helper.” Sura 2:120
- “They do not observe toward a believer any pact of kinship or covenant of protection. And it is they who are the transgressors.” Sura 9:10
- “And do not obey the disbelievers and the hypocrites but do not harm them, and rely upon Allah. And sufficient is Allah as Disposer of affairs.” Sura 33:48 (Clauses 6-10 consist of “Shari’ah proofs” from the Hadith – sayings and practices attributed to Islam’s Prophet Muhammad –Ed.)
- (A Hadith is cited about there being one group among the nation of Islam that will continue to be on the side that adheres to the truth, will overcome their enemies, and will not be harmed by those who betray them until the end of days; it states “The Messenger of God [Muhammad] was asked: ‘Where are they?,’ and he answered: ‘In Jerusalem and its surroundings’” –Ed.)
- (A Hadith is cited about faith and adhering to Allah –Ed.)
- (A Hadith is cited about the believers strengthening one another like bricks in a building –Ed.)
- (A Hadith is cited about the Muslims being brothers and not oppressing or humiliating one another –Ed.)
- (A Hadith is cited about the believers needing to carefully examine those whom they befriend –Ed.)
Note: The Friday sermon and prayers will take place in open public spaces, while adhering to the guidelines and instructions of the [PA] Ministry of Religious Affairs and the [PA] Ministry of Health.
The Ministry of Religious Affairs
Now let’s examine the cynical use of Muslim religion on the part of Palestinians.
Even before the establishment of Israel in 1948, Palestinian Mufti Has Amin al-Husseini ably used his knowledge of religion for political purposes, and even to inspire acts of terrorism against the British and Jews.
One of the important achievements in the early 1930s for the Islamic Council, headed by the Mufti, was cutting down on sales of land to Jews and even prohibiting it altogether. Husseini issued a fatwa [ruling] which defined anyone who sold land to Jews as a traitor who could not be buried in a Muslim cemetery. In addition, he claimed that selling Palestinian land was equivalent to selling parts of the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem. He demanded such a person be expelled from Islamic society.
The Mufti used all sorts of methods to strengthen his position and increase his popularity among the Arab public. One of the most successful was to appoint preachers in mosques in most parts of the country. The position of Mosque preacher did not exist during the Ottoman rule in the Land for centuries up to that time. The Mufti instituted this position so that the “preachers” would be able to speak in his favor and inspire the people to support his plans. In this way he succeeded in influencing the peasants and causing the young to be antagonistic toward the Jews. He appointed his own man in each mosque. With this brilliant move, the Mufti managed to control the mosques and the crowds by conveying the messages he wanted to spread – at times to incite the masses and at other times to calm the masses.
Similar to the Mufti’s activities, the Palestinian Authority now seeks in the 21st century to control the masses and use religion to incite them against the Jews and against moderate Arab states. From reading the above document one can discern the incitement directed mainly against the Jews – not Israelis and not Zionists, but all Jews. PA officials have always said they are not against the Jews but only against Zionism and the “occupation.” Today, they have proved otherwise. Their true antisemitic colors have been exposed.