all

all

Iranian president: ‘Dialogue does not mean surrender’

Trump said Gulf states urged a brief delay of planned US military action by “two or three days,” citing progress toward a deal to keep nuclear weapons out of Tehran’s hands.

A Shiite cleric and his bride travel in a military jeep to a public mass wedding in Imam Hossein Square in Tehran, May 18, 2026. Photo: EPA/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH
A Shiite cleric and his bride travel in a military jeep to a public mass wedding in Imam Hossein Square in Tehran, May 18, 2026. Photo: EPA/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH

(JNS) Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said Tehran would not relinquish the “legal rights of the people and the country” even as it engages in diplomacy, after US President Donald Trump postponed a planned military strike at the request of Gulf leaders who urged more time for negotiations.

“Dialogue does not mean surrender,” Pezeshkian wrote in a post on X on Monday, adding that the Islamic Republic would enter talks with “dignity” and “authority” while safeguarding national interests and honor. He said Iran would continue to serve its people “with logic and with all our might.”

Meanwhile, a senior US official told Axios journalist Barak Ravid on Monday that the White House believes the Iranian regime’s new offer is inadequate and risks the renewal of the war.

“We are really not making a lot of progress. We are at a very serious place today. The pressure is on them to be responsive in the right way,” the senior US official said. “It’s time for the Iranians to throw a bit of candy out. We need some real, sturdy and granular conversation [regarding the nuclear program]. If that’s not gonna happen, we will have a conversation through bombs, which will be a shame.”

Reuters, citing Iranian state media on Tuesday, reported that the Iranian regime’s latest proposal includes Washington ending hostilities on all fronts, including against Iran’s Hezbollah terror proxy in Lebanon; the withdrawal of US forces from areas near Iran; and reparations for damage caused by the United States and Israel during the war. Washington and Jerusalem launched joint military operations against the Iranian regime on Feb. 28, with a ceasefire holding since April 8.

The Islamist regime in Tehran is also seeking the lifting of sanctions, the release of frozen funds and an end to the US naval blockade on Iranian ports.

The news agency noted that the new Iranian proposal appears to have changed little from its previous offer, which Trump previously rejected as “garbage.”

Two US officials told Ravid that Trump is expected to meet with his top national-security team in the Situation Room on Tuesday to review military options.

Trump in a Monday press conference provided more details on his earlier Truth Social post announcing that a planned military strike for Tuesday had been delayed.

“I was asked by Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE and some others if we could put it off for two or three days, a short period of time, because they think that they are getting very close to making a deal. And if we can do that where there’s no nuclear weapon going into the hands of Iran, I think and if they’re satisfied, we will be probably satisfied also,” the president told reporters.

“We’ve informed Israel. We’ve informed other people in the Middle East that have been involved with us, and it’s a very positive development, but we’ll see whether or not it amounts to anything. We’ve had periods of time where we’ve had, we thought pretty much getting close to making a deal and didn’t work out, but this is a little bit different,” Trump said. “Now we were ready to go tomorrow very big and not something I wanted to do, but we have no choice because we cannot let Iran have a nuclear weapon.”

Iran has used the ceasefire to excavate scores of previously bombed ballistic-missile sites, reposition mobile launchers and refine its tactics for any resumption of strikes, according to a US military official quoted in a New York Times report on Monday.

The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss operational matters, said many of Iran’s missiles had been fired from deep underground caves and other facilities carved into granite mountains that are difficult for American attack aircraft to destroy, leading US forces to focus on collapsing the portals rather than eliminating the sites entirely. The Iranian regime has been able to dig out and restore a significant number of those launch positions.

US military officials told the Times that ballistic-missile sites were among the options the Pentagon has developed as potential targets if the United States renews strikes on the Iranian regime.

An Israeli source told Kan News on Sunday that with a green light from Trump, Washington and Jerusalem are expected to jointly attack Iran, with the country’snational energy infrastructure on the target list. The Israeli public broadcaster noted that the White House had requested it not be attacked in the previous round.

Want more news from Israel?
Click Here to sign up for our FREE daily email updates

About the author

Patrick Callahan

This is an example of author bio/description. Beard fashion axe trust fund, post-ironic listicle scenester. Uniquely mesh maintainable users rather than plug-and-play testing procedures.

Leave a Reply

Login

Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.