In yet another stunning reversal, a major Arab political organization has demanded that the Palestinians apologize over a matter related to Israel.
The Palestinian leadership in Ramallah, as well as the Hamas regime in Gaza, have vociferously rejected the normalization agreements between Israel and the Gulf states of Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates.
While Palestinian leaders have publicly denounced the UAE and Bahrain as traitors for cozying up to the Jewish state, the Palestinian street has taken to burning Emirati and Bahraini flags and desecrating photos of their leaders.
What was the reaction?
Last week, the Secretary General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), Dr. Nayef al-Hajraf, condemned the Palestinians for their “irresponsible language of incitement and threats,” and demanded an apology.
He further suggested that the Palestinians were being entirely ungrateful toward countries that have for years financially propped up a failing Palestinian Authority.
“The Palestinian statements are inconsistent with the reality and history of relations between the GCC states and the Palestinian people,” said Dr. al-Hajraf.
What happens next?
The leaders of the Gulf states have made two points clear regarding their decision vis-a-vis Israel:
- Their own national interests will no longer be hostage to the Palestinian cause;
- Normalization is likely to aid the goal of Palestinian statehood since these nations can now engage Israel on this matter as economic partners, security allies and friends.
Want to learn more?
- Arabs Drop Yoke of Palestinian Cause
- Palestinians Admit Peace With Israel Impossible
- UAE Official Says Peace Deal Not Linked to Palestinian Statehood
- Even Arafat’s Wife Accepts Israel-UAE Normalization
Israel Today Membership
Save 18% Per Month.
Six Months Membership
Save 9% Per Month.